June 19th - August 29th, 2014
Making the Great Lakes Great (Full Schedule)
A unique hands-on experience for the entire family. Learn more about the Great Lakes ecosystem by trawling for fish, collecting plankton, sampling the lake bottom, and completing water quality tests. Become part of the maritime sailing tradition by raising the anchor, hoisting the sails, and steering the schooner. Learn about issues that face the Great Lakes and the plans to address these issues. Each sail is 3 hours in length (please arrive 20–30 min prior to sail).
This program is sponsored by the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, in partnership with Grand Valley State's Annis Water Resources Institute, Michigan State University Extension, Michigan Sea Grant, and BaySail.
(Ages 5 and up; No Cost)
2014 Schedule for Making the Great Lakes Great
Free of charge, paid for by the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative. All morning (AM) sails are from 9am-12pm, all afternoon (PM) sails are from 2pm–5pm unless otherwise stated.
- June 19, (AM) Traverse City
- June 25, (AM) Escanaba
- July 2, (AM) Suttons Bay
- July 20, (PM) Charlevoix, Venetian Festival
- August 2, (AM) Elk Rapids, Harbor Days
- August 13, (AM) Leland
- August 15, (AM) Frankfort
- August 26, (AM) Boyne City
- August 28, (AM) Petoskey
- August 29, (AM) Harbor Springs
Info provided by: www.schoolship.org
- Local events are listed as a courtesy; local events are in no way sponsored by us (unless otherwise specified).
- Please confirm events before planning to travel.
- Please contact us to submit corrections and/or additions to our Mackinaw City area Calendar of Local Events.
- Provided by Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping and Mackinac Lakefront Cabin Rentals